Adhadhu CEO Appeals Gag Order, MJA Seeks Reversal of High Court Decision
The CEO of Adhadhu News, Fiyaz Moosa, (L) on participating in the peaceful demonstration on May 15, 2026 | Photo: MV+
The CEO of Adhadhu News has filed an appeal at the High Court challenging the gag order issued by the Criminal Court, after the High Court rejected a separate appeal submitted by the Maldives Journalists Association (MJA), whose president, Ahmed Naif, said the association has now asked the High Court judges’ bench to overturn the registrar’s decision to dismiss the case.
On Thursday, MJA filed an appeal at the High Court challenging the Criminal Court’s gag order, arguing that it violates constitutional protections for press freedom, freedom of expression and the public’s right to information.
The order prohibits discussion and reporting on a documentary released last month by Adhadhu.
However, the High Court said yesterday that it would not accept the case, stating that MJA was not a party involved in the original case concerning the order and therefore did not have the legal standing to appeal the matter.
The gag order was issued by Criminal Court Judge Muzammil Nasir and directed at Fiyaz, and Editor Hassan Mohamed and the Prosecutor General’s Office.
The order was issued after Fiyaz and Hassan were charged with defamation under Section 612 of the Penal Code. The Criminal Court is currently hearing the case.
The High Court stated that although the order applies broadly and must be complied with by all parties, only those directly involved in the case could appeal it.
However, Article 56 of the Constitution states that any person related to a case has the right to appeal a conviction, sentence, judgement or order in both criminal and civil matters.
According to Adhadhu, Fiyaz has now appealed the order at the High Court as an affected party.
MJA Seeks Reversal of Registrar’s Decision
MJA President Ahmed Naif said the association has submitted an appeal to the High Court judges’ bench seeking to annul the registrar’s decision to dismiss the case.
Commenting on the High Court’s refusal to hear the appeal, Naif said the association would continue to challenge the order.
“MJA Vice Pres @MohamedShahzan & our active member Leevan are currently behind bars under this gag order. This gag order severely restricts the work of the 100+ journalists we represent & beyond that, it affects every single citizen. Given all of this, how can anyone argue that the MJA doesn’t have the right to appeal this gag order?” he said in a post on social media.
Yesterday, MJA also expressed concern over the treatment of the detained journalists.
It is deeply troubling that the govt has refused the MJA's request to check on the arbitrarily detained journalists. To make matters worse, Leevan's lawyer has confirmed he was moved to solitary confinement, a recognised form of torture banned by international law. https://t.co/o5DJhplLdB— Maldives Journalists Association (@mjamaldives) May 17, 2026
“It is deeply troubling that the govt has refused the MJA’s request to check on the arbitrarily detained journalists. To make matters worse, Leevan’s lawyer has confirmed he was moved to solitary confinement, a recognised form of torture banned by international law,” the association said in a social media post.


