Power Restored Across Malé and Hulhumalé After Three-Hour Blackout
Aerial photograph of Malé | Photo: MV+
Electricity supply has been restored across Malé and Hulhumalé after a widespread blackout, which began this morning, lasting nearly three hours affected large parts of the Greater Malé Area.
The outage occurred during scheduled upgrade works at the State Electric Company Limited (STELCO)’s 50-megawatt power plant in Hulhumalé, which had been shut down from 3:00am to 8:00am for critical power system upgrades announced earlier this week. STELCO had announced on Thursday that the upgrade work would occur.
In updates shared during the outage, STELCO initially said power had first been restored to some areas in Malé and Hulhumalé affected by a technical issue, while restoration efforts continued in the remaining locations.
ހުޅުމާލެއިން ކަރަންޓުގެ ހިދުމަތް މެދުކެނޑިފައިވާ ހުރިހާ ސަރަހައްދަކަށް މިހާރު ވަނީ އަލުން ކަރަންޓު ދެވިފައި. މާލޭގައި ނުދެވި ހުރި ސަރަހައްދުތަކަށް އަލުން ކަރަންޓު ދިނުމުގެ މަސައްކަތްތައް ދަނީ ކުރެވެމުން. ދިމާވާނެ ދަތިތަކަށް މަޢާފަށް އެދެން.— STELCO (@STELCOMALDIVES) May 23, 2026
The company later confirmed that electricity had been fully restored in Hulhumalé and subsequently resumed in the remaining affected areas of Malé.
“Power has now been restored to all areas in Hulhumalé that experienced an outage. Efforts are currently underway to restore power to the remaining areas in Malé. We apologise for any inconvenience caused,” STELCO said in its final update before full restoration.


