Child Pornography Charges Against 22-Year-Old Withdrawn Over Insufficient Evidence, says PGO 

MV+ News Desk | August 23, 2026
Adam Adhlan Latheef, of Moonimaage in Th. Vilufushi.

The Prosecutor General’s Office (PGO) has said that the criminal charges filed against a 22-year-old man arrested on suspicion of dealing in child sexual abuse material was withdrawn due to insufficient evidence to link him to the alleged offences.

Adam Adhlan Latheef, of Moonimaage, Th. Vilufushi, was arrested under a court warrant on 5 April and spent 28 days in investigative detention. The PGO said the initial allegation centred on the sale and distribution of child sexual abuse photographs and videos, but investigators found no evidence that Latheef had sold or traded such material, sent it to another person or been linked to a network involved in its distribution.

advertisement
advertisement

The PGO said it initially decided not to prosecute Latheef after reviewing the case file and returned the matter to the Maldives Police Service. Police subsequently requested a review of that decision. As the statutory deadline for filing charges was approaching while the review was underway, prosecutors filed two charges at the Criminal Court on 19 May to prevent the limitation period from expiring.

The charges were for knowingly keeping child pornography on a computer system under Article 246 of the Penal Code and possession of pornography under Article 622.

Following a further review, the PGO decided to withdraw both charges. The office said several digital devices seized during the investigation could not be conclusively linked to Latheef, while pornographic material found on devices associated with him could not be sufficiently established as child pornography.

The PGO said the possession of pornography charge could technically have proceeded, but the offence carries a basic sentence of one month and six days and a minimum sentence of nine days. As Latheef had already spent 28 days in investigative detention, the time served would exceed any sentence likely to be imposed for the offence.

The PGO therefore concluded that continuing with the possession charge would not serve the public interest. Latheef has since been released following the withdrawal of the case by the Criminal Court.

ރިއެކްޝަންސް
0
0
0
0
0
0
0